Friday, July 6, 2012

Sobre Los Cielos de Electricidad


I sat there on the dusty balcony, smoking Ducados brand cigarettes (and yes, they do kind of taste like shit; what I imagine shit would taste like I mean), the dusty balcony littered with the tools and such of association with an artist.  This balcony was of the apartment of a friend from college and her boyfriend, the apartment that I kind of high-jacked with my much unannounced visit to Seville, since my entire trip to Spain was gathered and formulated within a few days and then I was off!
I sat there on that dusty balcony, mindlessly glancing off at the sunset; a very odd sunset I might add.  Not in any way similar or striking any familiarities to those I anxiously awaited in Santa Barbara or those of the winter on the West coast of Korea at the beach.  This sunset produced one of the oddest skylines I have ever had the pleasure (or mishap) of observing.  The haze of a very warm Andalusia Spring day was starting to settle, creating an aura filled with a canvas of oranges, pinks, salmons and ironically enough grays, painting all the buildings in my view in an unsettling early evening ‘vampire walks in daylight’ persona.

Off in the distance, there was a bridge, going where, I could not know.  I guess it went across the river that I never really took the time to examine that split the city, creating one side that was old, quaint, traditional and the other, modern, contemporary and rather run down (The 1992 World’s Fair grounds in Seville look an absolute hot mess!).  The cars on this bridge, most of which I chose to imagine as dinky little red and yellowish Fiats, hustled by in their perspective directions.  Probably commuters, trying to make their ways home, from what had been a very tiring day (at least it was for me!).  

Since my arrival was very badly timed, say the week after Feria, everyone was either worn out or had to work during the days, which left me to sight see and tour all by my lonesome.  Having been talked into taking some silly bus tour by a pretty cool Scandinavian guy, who I think was selling tour tickets to make money to return to Scandinavia, I spent much of the day zooming across the rather attractive city, taking pictures, being a tourist.  Well, I was so much into being a true tourist that I became entranced by some statues at the Plaza de Espana and missed the departure of my beloved, double-decker tour bus.  This meant that I had to walk a very long way back to the city bus stop to go back to my friends’ apartment!  To think I never once picked up a transit map!)

That bridge, although rather intriguing and an integral part of that portrait frozen in my mind however, was not the sight that has remained with me for the few years since that trip.  Oh no!  Not a landmark or something everyone else would remember after spending two weeks in a foreign country!  Something else remains beautiful and vulgar about that skyline that day:  all those damn television antennae, obtrusively poking up into the sky from their apartment building foundations!
It still perplexes me to think of all of those antennae present in that narrow frame of sight.  
Now, this journey to Southern Spain was not that long ago and I know that cable television was present in that neighborhood, which begs me to question why people still had antennae up on their buildings!  For posterity?  

Did each building, with each of its apartment units, have a grumpy old man or woman living in it, who just had to have their little television with knobs that only picked up two or three channels because the box’s antenna had broken decades earlier and had been replaced by a coat hanger (and not even an ordinary coat hanger, but one of the really thin ones painted white that dry cleaners insist giving to you, even when you ask them politely to use one of the nice hangers you leave with them and after you tip them generously)?  Were the antennae the last bit of independence these nostalgic tenants had, as in the right to say ‘to hell with paying for TV, I like crappy news and even crappier reruns!’ (Of whatever shows older folks like to watch over and over again in Spain.  I didn’t watch any television while I was there, so I don’t know; probably amazingly annoying variety shows hosted by ‘has-been’ actresses with way too much collagen in their lips and older ‘gentlemen’ with sick reputations for inappropriately touching female guests?)?

My mind is a swamp, with many diversions and thought traps.

So back to these antennae.  They truly left an impression on my reality that I think may have seriously altered my entire perception of the nation of Spain and its people.  When I first began teaching in Miami Beach, I had an intermediate class with two students from Spain.  For the first week of class, all I wanted to do was ask them if their houses and/or apartment buildings had an antenna (or antennae) mounted on their roofs.  Then, naturally, if they had cable television and if so why had no one ever removed the old antenna?  Actually, what really holds my focus on the matter (and probably is wrecking my subconscious) is that this phenomenon of leaving old antenna mounted on the tops of buildings is not limited to Spain.  Hell, now that I think about it there were tons of antennae on roofs all across Seoul!  

My grandmother’s house had an antenna.  A really big, small engine jet wingspan antenna!  A few years after this Spain trip, I was at her house and happened to be outside and looked up at that thing and out of nowhere got a rush of unexplainable anxiety; so much that I grabbed the tools and took that ridiculous monster down!  Why did that house still have a television antenna?  She’d had cable television since Clinton was president, so why was that metal eyesores still hanging out on her roof, saying ‘people still watch analog TV!’  I wonder once the Great American Digital Transition is done, how many homes in my hometown will still have antennae mounted on their roofs, like sentinels standing guard, ready and willing for something absurd to happen, like a surprise attack from South Carolina or the command call for the South to rise again will coming through an analog system and broadcasting on Channel 40!

To this day I never see just a television antenna when I see one holding court up in the air.  Perhaps it’s all due to that cityscape in Sevilla etched into my brain flaps.  I often wonder just how significant that moment really was.  I recall my life at the time and all that had happened and was about to happen and it seems that that early evening, sitting on that little balcony of the high-jacked apartment, much like the two weeks of aimless ‘sightseeing’ and random conversations in almost senile Spanish I had with store clerks (another tar pit in my mind swamp; nothing teaches you to appreciate the diversity and beauty of all the world’s differences like asking for a pack of Marlboros and realizing you’re asking in Korean; when you are in Spain; and you are not Asian; and the person you’re talking to doesn’t quite know which Asian language you’re speaking, but he knows that the language is from Asia, but you aren’t, yet he just nods his head, smiles, recognizes the word ‘Marlboro’ and everyone just smiles!), marked a very profound end of something and a daunting, yet very exciting start of something new.

Maybe it was the indescribable feeling that I felt as I peered across the forest of antennae towards the bridge and the sunset.  The feeling of being completely alien to everything around me, so foreign to the character and chemistry of the space I occupied, yet inexplicably tied to it all and unable to find the source of that link.  That no matter where I went or what happened, I would be an integral part of that picture and all those useless antennae, regardless of what I thought of them or why they existed as they did.  That, even if only for just one moment of a life still yet to come, on a balcony of an apartment that I probably would never see again, in a country of people that I might soon forget, I stood, in wonder, over electric skies.


Seville, Spain (April, 2005)

No comments:

Post a Comment